Having trouble with the curling iron? Look no further for the secret to beautifully curly locks!
1. Blow dry your hair straight so you don’t have to worry about funny kinks while you’re trying to curl.
2. Apply a smoothing serum to your hair to keep it smooth, shiny, and frizz-free.
3. Also apply a heat-protectant spray to protect your hair from breakage.
4. Know what you’re getting with the curling iron you use. A smaller barrel will yield and smaller, tighter curl. A bigger barrel will yield a looser, beach-y curl. There are also curling irons which don’t clamp down, and you start at the roots and wrap down. This yields yet another look. Typically, the larger the barrel, the longer your hair needs to be to pull off the look.
5. Use a claw clip to pin the top half of your hair up while you curl the bottom. Once the bottom is curled, undo the top half and curl it. (Note: you can get away with less-defined curls on the bottom layer because they will be covered by the top layer. Good to know when you’re in a rush!)
6. When you curl your hair, curl it away from your face, toward the back of your head. This will yield a beautiful curl that doesn’t get in your face, and it will help your hair look balanced on both sides.
7. When you have finished curling, use a mirror to check the back of your head. I always manage to miss a few spots in the back!
8. Once you’re REALLY finished curling, apply a spritz of hairspray to your hair. For tighter curls, you may want to gently finger through them to separate, loosen, and add volume to them.
9. Spritz one last time with hairspray, and you’re good to go!
I hope these tips were helpful! Thanks for reading—now go rock your look!